Thursday, November 10, 2016

Empathy and the Election

Election years are always difficult times as it seems everyone is on edge and filled with anxiety over the high stakes. However, this year has proven to be one of the most difficult in my memory. As I reflected and observed the last couple of days, everyone seems beaten down by this process (on both sides of the fence). There appeared to be more talk and less listening, combined with more hate and less empathy. Supporters of each candidate had an incredible fear of what would happen if their candidate did not win. That is a very polarizing effect and does not leave much room for open and educated dialogue.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary (2016), the simple definition of empathy is the feeling that you understand and share another person’s experiences and emotions: the ability to share someone else’s feelings. From my observations, there is a major lack of empathy in our society at this time. We would rather judge, insult, belittle and demean others than listen to their stance or their knowledge. We blame victims rather than hear their story. We categorize people and dismiss their experience if it is not our own. We don’t believe them when they tell us what it is like to walk in their shoes.

Now, I am not calling anyone out with this discussion except maybe myself. This is not a self-righteous stance to condemn anyone other than me. I consider myself an open and educated person, however I have a long way to go as well. I studied Sociology and Community Services throughout my undergrad and graduate career and have been educated and aware of many issues for years (police brutality, discrimination, white privilege, environmental problems, income/wealth inequality, incarceration, etc.). Unfortunately, I cannot say I have done much to act upon eradicating these issues. I have worked in non-profits and mental health settings as my career and felt that was my way to contribute. However, I do not feel that is enough. I started my blog and have become more active on social media, but that is very unsubstantial. I have participated in some rallies and marches for various causes, but have not broadcasted it well. By staying quiet, I am part of the problem. Today, I am vowing to not be a bystander any longer. I am vowing to not leave anyone out. I care, I can help, I can make a change. I will stand up for what is right.

At this moment, half the country is elated, while the other half is in mourning. Yet, there are no winners if we do not learn how to collaborate. No one wins if we do not listen and develop empathy for others. No one wins if we refuse to educate ourselves and chose to make uninformed decisions. Let’s take action and change that. Educate. Empathize. Act.

"Nothing is more important than empathy for another human being's suffering Not a career. Not wealth. Not intelligence. Certainly not status. We have to feel for one another if we're going to survive with dignity."   -Audrey Hepburn



No comments:

Post a Comment